Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Are you feeling behind?

Has December surprised you and arrived earlier than you thought? Is it December 8th yet you feel like it should be December 1st? Are you without a Christmas tree, decorations, or cards? If so, it is time to simplify! If you are having a stressful year, change some of your traditions and make it easier on yourself. DH & I love Christmas and seeing all of our old decorations and ornaments. We have been given some beautiful ornaments over the years from Tiffany, Christopher Radko, Waterford, etc. However, we needed to simplify this year. Therefore, we did not even open my ornament boxes. Instead, we allowed the children to decorate the tree with their ornaments, both the ones they made and the ones they have received as gifts. I have a rubbermaid container for each child with their name on it in black marker. Each Christmas, we pack away each child's ornaments in their very own box. Then, they can decorate the tree with their personal ornaments. It is so much fun for the children to see their old friends and now they remember their ornaments from year to year. This year's tree is not our biggest or nicest tree, but it is so special because it is decorated with our children's special ornaments that they have made through the years and the ones grandparents, godparents, and friends have given them. It is beautiful! Don't be afraid to simplify because sometimes it turns out better than ever!

6 comments:

The B Family said...

We did the same thing this year! I usually go all out with multiple themed trees, my huge collection of ornaments, decorations inside and out, etc... This year, not knowing whether we'd be traveling at or right after Christmas, we also decided to simplify. We left our boxes of decorations and ornaments in storage and limited our store-bought decorations to lots of white lights. We purchased a live tree, set up the girls' craft table with construction paper, glitter, metallic chenille and other craft supplies and let them go to town. The girls have been spending their "down-time" in the afternoons/evenings at the craft table coming up with more decorations. And as they've brought home Christmas-themed projects from school, we've hung them on the tree. It's been one of my favorite trees yet!

Travelbugmom said...

HOW FUN! Not only will you remember this tree, but so will the children. Good for you for putting them first. When my children were little, we would make a batch of cupcakes and have a happy birthday party for Jesus as we decorated....they STILL remember that.

bevy said...

What a fun tree... can't wait to see pictures! We just mingle the homemade ornaments with all the others. It's quite it menagerie!

Oh, and I answered your question on my blog! :)

Unknown said...

I love that! Christmas decorating should be for fun, not fancy. At least at our house. I know it's not simplifing, but we have 3 kiddie trees for the children.

And I didn't go to UGA, I went to GA College in M'ville. Hubs went to Mercer, but lots of our friends are UGA alum. What years were you there? And we live 20 minutes south of Macon. Email me, I bet we know some of the same people. Miss Janice's mother lives near Macon too. Small world.

The Hayden Family said...

That idea gives me the warm fuzzy feeling. Those decorations are always the best! I still like to look at ones I made as a child. Nothing like strolling down memory lane while decorating the tree. And I LOVE the idea of each child having their own box. Yet another one of your genius ideas. I seriously think you need to write a book of those sort of tips. I love your posts and always feel like a super mom on Tuesdays after following a Henley Tip!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love IT! Perfect yet again! I Need to do it!! I know the kids will remember this and last year's for a lifetime!
wendy