Thursday, February 4, 2010

Dear Libby


One of our sweet big girls, D, came downstairs and asked me if I'd mail a letter. She made me guess whom she had written. I guessed Mimi, Grandmama, and her godmother. I was wrong on all accounts. D handed me the letter with a little smile and I began to read it. I also began to cry. I mailed the letter, but I made a copy of it before I sent it. It was just that precious. She wrote this letter to Libby, the Senior Director of Camp Greystone, whose husband, Jim, or Jimdaddy, died suddenly last Friday. Jimdaddy was one of the most amazing men I've ever known. He was the epitome of a gentleman and always encouraged others to love the Lord first and to purpose to have a GREAT day every single day. He will be missed. D wrote a letter to his wife, Libby, totally on her own. Precious. Here it is:

Dear Libby,
I'm sorry that Jimdaddy died. I really miss him. I have been a Greystone girl for 3 years. I'm eight years old. My mommy, Mama Henley, cooks at Greystone. I remember all the fun stories Jimdaddy told. My mommy is really sad that she could not come to Greystone. She cried at dinner the other night that she could not come to Greystone. Hope you have a great day today,
Love,
D

I thought it was just precious that she was precocious enough to know that you write someone a letter when someone they love dies. She also knew exactly what to say to comfort Libby. I, of course, DID cry at dinner. It was one of those nights where it was really hard to live so far away from the Old North State. Florida is just too far for me to drive by myself and the flights didn't cooperate, so I couldn't go to the funeral. And I was very sad.

10 comments:

Sandra said...

I think as a parent one of the nicest discoveries about our children is that they are compassionate human beings. What a blessing. And that lets us know that we are doing something right. Sweet story. xoxo

Mrs. Expat said...

I think that all of us Greystone parents will miss Jim Daddy as well. He was such a positive, godly influence on our daughters.

KK said...

That is just the sweetest thing. Obviously, she is being led by a very compassionate and Godly woman to be such a compassionate and Godly child! She is a real blessing, isn't she?!

I am so sorry that you were not able to make the funeral. I know this hurts.

Travelbugmom said...

Bless her little heart....what a great Mommy she has.

Imjustagirl said...

I understand why you made a copy. That is a very sweet letter. I can only imagine how full your heart must have been to see her being so caompassionate. I am so sorry for you loss. It sure sounds as though Jim Daddy will be missed greatly! I hope you have a nice weekend:)

Love Being A Nonny said...

I hope you know how much I can relate to this post. I wrote you a comment about it when you posted that he had passed away. I am sad that you can't attend. I am sure his wife understands though. A sweet letter from you telling her how much he meant to you will mean the world to her.

What a precious daughter you have!

Seersucker Scrapper said...

That is the sweetest thing. She must have a very good role model.

:)

bloggerprotectionprogram said...

I'm so sorry for your loss...that letter is so precious. I'm glad you made a copy. Thinking of you and your friends in their time of sorrow.

bevy said...

How well does that speak of you!?!?! I'm with Preppy 101. It's so nice to know when we as parents are doing something right. I hope you scanned a copy of the letter to keep) on your computer - not another piece of paper to multiply LOL)...

Nancy said...

She is learning from a beautiful daughter of Christ. Praying that her letter brought you comfort. Jimdaddy is certainly looking down at both of you with love and pride.