Sunday, May 9, 2010

Today...

Today my thoughts turn to those who may face Mother's Day with sadness, fear, or emptiness. I am praying for those who will spend their first Mother's Day without their dear mother. I am sad for the children who do not know their mother or whose mothers neglect or abuse them. My heart also aches for those mamas who will never again see their children on Mother's Day because their little ones are now in Heaven. I especially pray for my friend, Nita, on this day and for all of those who have lost a child or miscarried. There are women whose arms ache in hopes of one day holding a baby that is their own but they are plagued by infertility. Still others are mothers to heroes who are spending this day in Iraq, Afghanistan, or any other place defending our country from the threats of terrorism. Some mothers are alone by choice, but still others long to be with their children. I am blessed to celebrate with my family, but I am praying for all of the others.
I am so thankful and blessed to be a mother to 5 children. As I woke up this morning, I thanked my husband and the Lord for making me a Mama. It is my highest calling.... high above names like doctor, CEO, CFO, President, Madame President, School Board leader, or any other title. Mind you, those are important too, but for me, being a Mama is the highest calling. I love it. I am so blessed! I spent many years aching to hold a baby of my own. There were times of great sadness and desperation. It's hard to believe now that I am the mother of 5. But I will never forget our struggles, and I am grateful for them as they have given me more compassion for others. Of course I still need a lot more, but God is still at work in me! :)
This Mother's Day may you relish the time with your family. Call your mama if you haven't done so already. Reach out to a new Mama and congratulate her and hug a friend who still wants to be a Mama. It's a special day!! Happy Mother's Day

19 comments:

KK said...

What a nice post. You are such a sweet soul!

Unknown said...

Well said! Happy Mother's Day to you!

Marcie said...

Love this post! Miss you sweet friend!

Sweet Southern Prep said...

What a great post! Thanks so much for making us aware of all the different mothers out there, as we pray for the ones who have lost theirs. :)

Imjustagirl said...

I am sitting here with tears in my eyes. Mothers day can be a hard day for so many and for so many different reasons. Thank you for bringing light to the fact. Your kids and family are blessed to have such a compasionate woman as their mama. I hope you had a beautiful day!!

bevy said...

As we all get so caught up in our own lives and families, you (sweet girl!!!) remind us how much we are blessed.

bevy said...

Oh... and Happy Mother's Day (again LOL)!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Precious! Happy Mother's Day!

Robin said...

Words that are so true.

Happy Mother's Day!


Blessings,
Robin

Bama Girl said...

Happy Mother's Day, and thanks for reminding us of those who may be suffering today. It was our first Mother's Day without Meme, my Dad's Mother, who died last summer from cancer. Tough day for my Dad, but us girls rallied around him. :-) Hope you had a wonderful day! XOXO

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

Such a tribute, well said and happy mother's day darling.

Travelbugmom said...

Glad you took the time out of YOUR day to post about others. You are wonderful.....and I happen to like "Madame President Henley"....it has a ring to it!
Hope you had a great day!

Mrs. Expat said...

You hit the nail on the head. Being a mother is the highest calling. Jackie Kennedy said, "If you don't raise your children well, nothing else you do matters."

HoodMama said...

Beautiful, as usual. I love hearing your heart in this post. Hope you had a wonderful Mothers Day!

Buford Betty said...

Love this post! I love celebrating the wonderful woman that is my mother, but Mother's Day is a tough one too. I always say that Mother's Day is to the infertiles as Valentine's Day is to the single. Sucks.

Travelbugmom said...

Couldn't find your email anywhere, so I'm leaving a comment. My husband actually ordered it from this site http://www.sharedbook.com/ there is a button BLOGS2print....
I don't think it was cheap...maybe $70 and mine was 165 pages[one year]... I think it is PRICELESS to me!!

Eloise said...

What a lovely post. I get so caught up in sending a gift and card to my own mother and mother-in-law and in deciding how I want to spend my Mother's Day that I neglect to realize what a painful day it is for many people. Thank you for raising my awareness.

I hope you had a very Happy Mother's Day!

Kiki said...

Delurking to say this post touched my heart....hope your day was super special!!!

Nishant said...

What a nice post.
free classified india