Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Library Elf

You need to go check out Library Elf! It is a fantastic service which many library systems offer for free if they subscribe to it. I just found out about it today. I posted earlier this summer about the benefits of the local library and reading. I allowed all 4 of our oldest children to sign up for their own library card. We checked out most of our summer reading books, other books, movies, and more books. Then we went out of town. I renewed all of the books on my card, but forgot that I had four other cards with books checked out on them. It cost me $40 to clear fines off of all of the cards since I had forgotten to renew the books on the children's cards. This is a pretty costly mistake!!

The librarian informed me of a great service called Library Elf. You link all of your library cards together and you will receive free email reminders when books are due or overdue. You can set it to remind you a week in advance or just a few days in advance. You can choose for the emails to continue to hound you or to just receive one email reminder. It is great! If you only have one card, it will still work as a great reminder to return books, renew books, or to pick up books on hold! I hope you have this service at your local library!

1 comment:

KK said...

I LOVE Library Elf--it is a true lifesaver!