Friday, July 2, 2010

Fat Friday / Ocean Prime



Oh. My. Goodness. Now last week I discussed how I love to support local restaurants. And I really do. However, what a treat we enjoyed when our dear friend, David, visited a few weeks ago. Since he is an Independence Day baby, I wanted to honor him by telling you about the wonderful restaurant we enjoyed together. Wow.
Ever the gentleman, David called and asked a simple question, "Surf or turf?" "Well", I replied, "since we don't know how long we'll have surf, let's try surf." David said he would take care of things and called to let us know we would be dining at Ocean Prime. I had no idea what to expect from a restaurant that happens to be a chain and is located by my favorite mall. The water around the restaurant reflects beautiful lights and a fun atmosphere, but I had no idea if the food would be good or just acceptable. DH & I were happily surprised!
As we were leaving home I told our sitter where we were going. She said that the tuna tartare appetizer was her favorite. Having made it myself for a 30th birthday party for my sister-in-law, I couldn't want to try it! It did not disappoint! Fresh tuna marinated in lime juice sat atop crunchy crispies over avocado with ginger ponzu sauce. Fantastic! DH loved his oysters and I believe a lobster bisque. It was also wonderfully tasty!
For our entrees, David had scallops which he seemed to enjoy. They were a nice size and cooked well and accompanied by fresh French green beans. DH had "the best blackened snapper he'd ever had". It was seasoned perfectly as well. He ate every morsel. I loved my crab cakes and we all enjoyed the creamy whipped potatoes and green beans. We did not save room for dessert, but I am sure it was heavenly as well! So, eat local, but when you visit a city that has an Ocean Prime, you should try it!

1 comment:

Love Being A Nonny said...

I've never been to an Ocean Prime...but I WILL if I get a chance. You made me hungry for lunch and it's only 10:25 am. :(