Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Happy 7th Birthday, Buggy!
Our Bug is 7 today! I can hardly believe it. I can't wait to finish the story from yesterday. So... the doctor on call told me to call back when my contractions were stronger. I decided I couldn't wait any longer, so I called our new sister-in-law of just 6 weeks, and asked her to come and spend the night with the triplets. Don't you know she wished she hadn't answered that phone call?! Thankfully we're still friends!
**If you can't handle medical terms surrounding a birth, pleae do not read!**
DH & I arrived at the hospital around 11pm. They checked me in and the doctor started challenging me as to why I was scheduled for a c-section the following week. Well, dear doc, let me count the ways:
-My body carried and delivered TRIPLETS by c-section... my womb is stretched and probably very, very tired
-VBACs are great for those who have carried one, not THREE
-With a VBAC on a compromised uterus, there is an increased chance of rupturing the uterus.
-The doctor who was managing my care agreed that a c-section was best
For some reason, she wanted to argue with me and tell me that I should try a VBAC .... and I was only 1 centimeter. I'm sorry but starting at 1 and having hours of labor to go, while putting the baby at risk, is not my idea of a good time. In comes the drama. The doctor realized that my water had broken... TWO DAYS EARLIER. Suddenly she became frantic and said I needed an immediate c-section. All of this happened while DH stepped out to call and friends and family to tell them that baby #4 was on his or her way.
In walks DH, only to find a very panicked Mama Henley. I had become completely nervous, and I think I was having a panic attack. Words were bouncing around like, "We need to get the baby out NOW. The baby is in an unsterile environment and it has been over 48 hours. Let's prep her for surgery NOW." I was scared to death. DH prayed for me and asked for anti-anxiety meds. They said I couldn't have anything for anxiety or nausea until the baby was born. I wasn't going to need anything after I knew the baby was okay, but at this point, I was TERRIFIED of losing our baby. I do trust the Lord, but I admit that I was afraid.
Thankfully, our 4th bundle of joy, whom we were convinced was a boy, was born at 1:00AM on July 28th! SHE weighed 7 pounds even and was 20 1/2 inches long. Our precious baby girl was perfect and was affectionately named after both grandmothers.
I had adored Dr. Smith at our practice. However, the 2 women in his practice steered me completely WRONG. I switched practices to use the doctor we had when the triplets were born. I just couldn't risk having that kind of care another time. It proved to me that we should all take ANY kind of medical care into our own hands. What kind of experiences have you had where you had to take your car into your own hands?