Friday, October 22, 2010

Fat Friday!


Mama Henley never misses a chance for a good meal. One of my favorite clog-your-arteries places is Char Grill in Raleigh, North Carolina. I would venture to say that an extended visit to Raleigh is not complete without a stop at the Char Grill. They have been grilling fresh burgers since my Mama was dating in high school. In fact, one of my best friend's father took Mama to Char Grill on a date back in the day. Picture a 1950's style restaurant. The only difference is that now you get out of the car to place your order. The menu is filled with hamburgers, including their famous long rectangle burger, the Hamburger Steak Junior, french fries, onion rings, and fantastic shakes. YUM. I am getting hungry just thinking about it! A Carolina burger is served with slaw, chili, ketchup, and mustard. My favorite combo is cheese, ketchup, mustard, chili, and onions on the small hamburger. It is FANTASTIC!!! A Diet Pepsi with good pellet ice always compliments my favorite meal there!

Years ago we brought our dear friends, The Woods, to Raleigh on our way to the beach. Mr. Wood knows his food well, especially since he is an official judge at the STATE FAIR OF TEXAS. Being someone who loves culinary treats, Mr. Wood asked me if there was a special way to order his burger. Being a Southern belle, I felt I shouldn't tell him what to do, so I told him just to order whatever sounded good. To this day, we laugh every time DH and Mr. Wood tell the story. Mr. Wood claims that he was presented with a plain, non-exciting burger, while my burger was dripping with goodness. I don't think he's ever forgiven me for not recommending the chili and onions on a cheeseburger!

If you find yourself in the Great State of North Carolina, and you can stand to gain a pound or two, or you just love a good burger, try the Char Grill! And tell 'em Mama Henley sent you!

5 comments:

A Big Little Life said...

I love Chargrill!! Delicious and a Raleigh Classic!

The Fryes said...

Ditto! And my job is practically within walking distance to the one on the corner of Glenwood and Hillsborough in Raleigh!

Unknown said...

Yum. Change that Pepsi to Coke & that sounds like a place we have called Nu-way.

Jennifer said...

Oh how, I miss that Char Grill! We always wished they had Coke too but their milkshakes are so good so that works too.

bevy said...

I love your comment on a great big ol' Diet Coke. Because of course it cancels out all the calories of that great big ol' greasy cheeseburger,