Thursday, October 21, 2010

Whooping Cough Outbreak

Tragically 10 infants have lost their lives in California all due to a preventable disease. Whooping cough, or pertussis, has a vaccine that has been around for years. However, many parents are opting not to vaccinate their children. Many adults and older children are no longer covered by vaccines they took more than 5 years ago. This is the worst outbreak they've seen in 60 years. The article explains that young children are often infected by non-vaccinated adults... their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, neighbors, nursery workers, teachers, etc. PLEASE call your doctor immediately and receive the vaccine if you haven't had it in more than 5 years or can't remember. You might save a sweet child's life.

8 comments:

The Fryes said...

My husband and I just got our vaccines in recent weeks. It's been on our "to-do" list ever since my niece was born this summer. An upcoming trip to Africa gave us the extra push we needed to finally get the shot. Thank you for sharing this important message!

Sheila Fretz said...

This is so important to do!! No matter if you have little ones in your house or not!

Travelbugmom said...

Thank you for posting. Personally since I substitute teach, I must keep up on vaccines, but many adults do not. Hopefully you will have many readers spreading the word.

The Mrs. said...

Awful!!! I am huge on doing vaccines!!!

Jo said...

As a teacher this honestly scares me. I have a bad feeling that this is only the beginning of many returns.

Jo

Donna said...

I personally think vaccines have gotten a bad rap over the whole autism debate. It has been highly debated and largely proven NOT to be the culptrit. Many have chosen to be cautious about vacinating thinking that these diseases are not rampant yet indeed may be the villian that causes these diseases to be come epidemics again. Hopefully not and messages like yours can only help! Good post!!

bevy said...

Calling my pediatrician today... Although I'm sure we are up to date!

Unknown said...

My children have gotten the shot, but I've never thought about myself. I got the flu shot but that's all. I'll have to check on this. Thanks.