Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sound the Alarms! Mama Henley is going down!!!


I consider myself somewhat computer savvy in that I have a blog and can search the internet with the best of them. Now, if you have a real technical problem, I am not the girl to call, but if you want cheap tickets to Paris, I'm your gal. I can navigate safari! This morning I had a little one to one at the Apple store because I have used up all but 2G of my 250G hard drive! Now what is Mama Henley to do? I just can't trust those external hard drives to really hold all of my info, so I met with an Apple Genius for some help.
We finished our hour lesson where I felt more like a fool than a wise man. My one to one man had moved on to his Snickers bar in the break room. I decided that my lap top needed a little charge while I waited for some files to be deleted. This was my mistake. Earlier I had realized that there was no place to plug my power supply, so I had used the cord that was plugged into one of the store's laptops. After a while, I plugged it back in to the Apple laptop. Well, I decided to use some of their power once more. The only problem is that I detached the wrong cord. AND IT SET OFF THE STORE ALARM!!!! Suddenly an alarm louder than all 5 of my children screaming at once began to sound. It was LOUD. IT was RELENTLESS. And it would not STOP. At this point, I was so nervous and afraid I was going to the slammer, that I could not plug the silly plug back in. I thought it was like a car alarm and would stop the alarm. I was not so fortunate! I told the Apple genius closest to me that I was so sorry but that I was so nervous I could not plug it back in the laptop. I looked around at people staring at me like I'm an idiot! The man closest to me looked at me while he covered his ears with his hands!!! At long last, a man arrived with a key and stopped the dreaded alarm. I asked him to please forgive me and told him repeatedly how sorry I was for sounding the alarm. He was very kind and told me it happens all of the time.
So, I felt like an old dinosaur who has no idea how to work these new-fangled computers, so dejected, I packed my bags and headed out into the Florida sunshine!

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, that story made me laugh but we have all been there. My technolgy skills have taken a nose-dive since I stopped teaching. Hope you learned a little something today. Maybe I need a lesson too.

LC said...

This story made my day. It reminded me of when my aunt set of the fire alarm in Friendly's. No harm, no foul, just an entertaining story :)

Courtney said...

This made me laugh out loud! I feel like a dinosaur just stepping foot into the apple store, the last time I went the oldest sales guy was still at least a decade younger than me, ha!

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

I'm scared of the apple store. I mean, I'm the girl who picked up a price scanner in the walmart electronics aisle and tried to play the Wii with it. When it wouldn't work, I got mad. So, I would totally do the same thing. But I'm still chuckling (on the inside and with you, not at you). xoxo

Grateful for Grace said...

Yikes! That's funny, though. Since it didn't happen to me and all. ;-)

Leigh Powell Hines said...

Oh my! I know nothing about computers, and I'm having problems with Facebook today. I can't put the like button in my blog. That's a very funny story today.

Kyndall's Kitchen said...

That is my worst nightmare! I once got hit on by an apple employee after he helped my mom and brother with buying a computer. It was very strange and needless to say I quickly tried to get out of the store, haha. Also, did you know that in mac stores they give a different name on their name tag than their real name? That is what one of the employees told me at the Atlanta store! Even stranger!

Eloise said...

Your story cracked me up! Hope you got your computer memory issue fixed. Those Apple geniuses are very smart! (Sorry they can't turn off alarms faster)

About Last Weekend said...

What a hilarious story! I am constantly asking my 13 years old and sometimes my seven year old for assistance, I am the most untechnical person I know!

Travelbugmom said...

hahahhaha

Donna said...

Thanks for a giggle tonight...I needed one!!

Beth Dunn said...

Oh my gosh you poor dear. It is kind of funny though.
xoxo
SC