Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Asparagus, please!


It's difficult to come up with an interesting menu for your family night after night. While it is fun to try new dishes, it can be a big job to cook all of the meals for your family! Publix has asparagus on sale this week. It is delicious! For a quick way to add some green to your meal, all you need is fresh asparagus and Makoto ginger dressing. You can find the dressing in the refrigerated section of dressings near Marie's salad dressing. You will love it! I first had this dish at a baby shower for my friend, V. My friend, R, who is also V's sister, made the most delicious asparagus. When she shared the 'recipe', I couldn't believe how easy it was!

Steam your asparagus until it is crisp tender. I have a calphalon steamer. I fill the bottom with water & bring it to a boil. Then, I put the fresh asparagus in the steamer pot on top (it has holes in the bottom). Put on your lid and let it steam until the asparagus is cooked, but not too tender. You may have to turn the heat down so that the water does not boil over. Don't forget to use your vent fan! Drain & cool the asparagus. You can put it in ice cold water or just run cold water over it in the sink. Let it drain. R served her asparagus cold on a platter with the dressing as an optional side. She had it in a beautiful glass bowl. It looked like a homemade sauce. For dinner tonight, I put the dressing on the asparagus and refrigerated the dish while I made our stir fry. Enjoy! I made an Asian dinner tonight, but you could also use this dish with chicken salad for a ladies' luncheon. It is quite versatile, delicious, and healthy!

3 comments:

KK said...

Oh, that dressing looks divine. I love anything Asian. I will have to try it. I wish so much that we had a Publix here!

Jessica Ryan said...

I LOVE this dressing! I will chop up some romaine and use this dressing... you can add crushed peanuts or not.

KK... if you are reading this... Stop and Shop sells it... in the produce aisle... over the lettuces!

Henley on the Horn said...

YUM! I love the ideas of the chopped peanuts... do you chop them yourself? Share more ideas!I love it!