Sunday, November 15, 2009

How to show your teachers you're thankful

Teachers need to be appreciated year-round. I understand that many of us feel like all we do is help our schools. It does take a lot of time to volunteer. However, since we are the ones that hold the responsibility of educating our children, doesn't it make sense that we would spend a lot of time helping those who help us? Anyway, as Thanksgiving approaches, it's a good idea to show your children's teachers a little love.
Here are some ideas:

-Make a casserole, side dish, dessert, or homemade bread to compliment their Thanksgiving meal

-Give them a gift card to a favorite restaurant or coffee shop so they can buy themselves a little treat

-If the school allows, offer to watch the class at recess or lunch so that the teacher can have an extra break

-Tell the teacher you are so thankful for her and ask if you can help cut things, label things, etc. at night. You'll be surprised that they may accept your offer!

-Have your child (or the entire class) write a note or draw a picture about why they are thankful for their teacher

-Bring them a favorite beverage, which you know because you have their FAVORITES list from the first of school!

Happy Thanksgiving!

8 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

every year in the fall the parents host a teacher appreciation breakfast and parents bring in all sorts of wonderful things for the teachers to enjoy. in the spring they host a teacher appreciation lunch. We are a fairly small school, but anyone could start this tradition at their school!

bevy said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you from a teacher! As a matter of fact, our teachers are planning a week-long event this week for the teachers. (I can let you know what is planned if you'd like!) We absolutely love our PARENTS as they do so much for us - more than we could imagine. Our school community is all that stronger because of the amazing relationship between the teachers and parents.

And because my boys attend the same school, I get the privilege of being both a teacher and a parent!

Grateful for Grace said...

I keep suggesting that my kids and husband do this kind of thing. I keep pushing for a Teacher Appreciation Day too. Hasn't happened. ;-)

Great idea to encourage.

Jennifer said...

Super idea! I used to teach before my daughter was born. Parents really make or break a school. Your relationship with the teacher impacts your child's education. Some of my favorite things parents have done are: one parent brought me lunch from Panera and watched the class while I had a quiet lunch, one parent brought me breakfast to school, another parent collected a recipe from each child in my class and made a recipe book. We still make those recipes! I think it is important to show appreciation throughout the year versus just one or two weeks of the year. Little treats throughout the year are nicer than one big week.

KK said...

Great ideas--our teachers are so valuable and should be reminded of this often, I think!

Lauren said...

I'm a former H.S. English teacher. Now that my oldest is in 1st grade, I make sure that I show her teacher my appreciation. I volunteer and keep up communication all the time. This is such a blessing to all: teacher, parent and student! Great ideas!

Anonymous said...

We miss you at White Memorial! Love to all!

Anonymous said...

What fantastic ideas! This is a great post! :o)