Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Common Cents

As our household manager, it is my job to manage our spending carefully. At our house, DH is the one who has a salary, but it is my job (and joy) to spend it wisely. While I take my job seriously, I don't always do it well. However, I have found some real ways to save money on the little things so that we can enjoy more big things such as private school, lessons, and trips. First of all, I use coupons. I SHAMELESSLY have used coupons since before coupons were cool. I started cutting them for my mother when I was a young teenager, and I have never stopped. I love the thrill of seeing money come OFF of my bill. My coupon cutting has grown into a part-time job! I have a big coupon binder that holds all of my savings. I read Money Saving Mom, Fiddledeedee, and Southern Savers for inspiration. I go to coupons.com and print coupons like crazy. I have never been afraid to have too much food in the house.
If you are using coupons well, then you must take advantage of BOGOS (buy one, get one free) or triple and double coupon days if you have such things. Unfortunately, Publix in Florida do have BOGOS but they do not ever double or triple coupons. Each week, I carefully shop the BOGOS, just as I did yesterday. Our D loves Wheat Thins. Yesterday they were BOGO. I was able to use a manufacturer's coupon on top of the BOGO. THAT is is the way to shop well. Granted, we have a small kitchen and these extra boxes have to go somewhere. DH & I added some great shelves in our garage with the help of my father. The shelves are filled with extra cereal, oatmeal, crackers, and canned goods that I have bought on sale. When pastas was just cents a box, I stocked up. The great thing is that I can always make a meal because we have a stocked pantry. I can have a spontaneous hot dog party by the pool because my BOGO chips and hot dogs are waiting. Being frugal is smart.
I learned many tricks by true professional frugalists: my parents. If anyone can stretch a dollar, they can. Some laugh at their frugality. At times, I, too, have laughed. But I'm not laughing anymore. They are smart. Keeping money out of the pockets of others so that you can buy things you enjoy is smart. Often those with the most don't look like it.
I will write another post showing you my coupon binder and how it works for me. Everyone has a different system. I just encourage you to start using coupons if you don't already. Yes, you DO have time. We all have 24 hours in a day and we each decide how we want to use them. If you love to watch tv, then clip your coupons while you watch. I've been known to carry scissors in the car and to clip while I wait. If you make time to create a coupon system, you'll be amazed at how quickly have saved enough for a new pair of Revas, or that Lilly shift, or even a night away!

11 comments:

Annie said...

I am SO with you. Anytime i find things on sale and have a coupon, i go crazy. Last week at the Teeter, i saved $40 and spent $40. I loved it! Can't wait to hear more from you about coupons! I need all the tips i can get these days!

Shannon said...

I really should make the time to create a way of organizing my coupons. Gotta save money where we can but it's hard to save when you can't remember where you but the darn coupon! Good for you for getting it together!

Gabi said...

I have recently started couponing too. I read Money Saving Mom almost everyday, and on my last trip to the store I saved 53.44!!! (only spending $38) Woohoo. I would love to see your binder...I have an accordian file, but not sure it is the best system. SO much fun to watch that number go down. :) And it sure does free up money for other things.

Jennifer said...

Gave you a shout out on my blog! Thanks for the good post.

Aundrea said...

I too am a coupon gal. I clip mine while I watch my girls at gymnastics. I have actually gotten a couple of other moms to start as well! I love to save money!!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

I need help!!This is one are that I am such a "dummy" about! I need to get with the program and learn to manage our money a whole lot better. March has not been good month for this Household Manager!!

North of 25A said...

Love my coupons - great advice! You are a BEAUTIFUL BLOGGER! Congratulations :)

The 5 Bickies said...

I love using coupons and getting a bargain. I am sure I could save even more money using coupons but I really try only to buy products we regularly use rather than stocking up on products purchased only because it was sale/coupon. I find it a hard balance. Would love to hear more about it when you share your binder.

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

I need to come over for a tutorial! I have no idea how to do this but looking forward to trying when we land in Arizona. I think this is a skill that very few can master, I am taking notes.

KK said...

GREAT post. I loooove saving money!

bevy said...

I do some couponing... but I am a big fan of Publix BOGO. It's amazing what I can get with those! I also go to Kroger with the double coupons AND when you accumulate 100.00 over as many visits it takes, you can buy their gas at 10 cents off. This would only work if your Kroger does have gas...