Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

Whenever our family goes out to eat, there are seven of us who descend upon a restaurant. There are times when we are all perfectly behaved, and there are times where some of us let out a squeal or have less than desirable behavior. No matter what, I always do my best to have the children help me leave the table in good condition. Having attended Camp Greystone for years, I know how to bus a table well. I try to scrape and stack plates and silverware and put dirty napkins in a pile. We try to pick up any large items that might have fallen on the floor as well. In general, we do our best to leave the table in a somewhat orderly fashion rather than as a huge mess. We also try to tip well if we've had good service. What do you do when you leave your table at a restaurant?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I pretty much do the same thing, to make it easier for the person. And tips for good service are always nice. I had a waitress at Bahama Breeze once who was so fake that Pamela Anderson looked au natural. I had to leave a tip anyway because I couldn't prove she was being fake.

JDB said...

I love this post! It amazes me the way some people will leave a table. (And not just those with children.) We generally stack as much as we can and place all of the flatwear on top. I also wipe up any spills because I know it would irk me if, when reaching for my tip, my sleeve got wet.

Love Being A Nonny said...

I do the same. Growing up at Camp Lurecrest taught me well! I can't stand to see a family with a young child in a high chair leave a HUGE mess under the table!!!


Oh, and we tip 20% standard unless they deserve a little something extra!

2 Little Irish Boys said...

We hate leaving a mess under the table, on the table--you name it. One of us is generally cleaning while the other takes the kiddos walking down the sidewalk!
We also go eat at 5pm to avoid crowds and let everyone else eat in peace.
Course, Cillian is ready to eat dinner at 4!!

North of 25A said...

I am going to tell my son about your thoughtful post. He is a waiter & he tells me stories that I just cannot believe! Not onl are people sometimes thoughtless, but they are stingy too!

KK said...

We do the same thing. I waited tables in college so I just can't leave the server/buser a mess!

Mrs. Expat said...

You sure cannot beat Camp Greystone for the good manners it instills!

bevy said...

I waitresses during the summers and I remember how horrible people can leave the tables. I try to at least put all the trash in one area!

I have also found that if you are nice and considerate to your server, they will be extra nice to you back!