Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

I fear running out of gas. I've heard that a gas tank can even freeze if it doesn't have enough gas in it. Years ago when the triplets were babies, we experienced a horrible ice storm. Our home was without power for days. It was SO COLD in our house and we had three 1 1/2 year olds, so we loaded up the car and headed towards the beach. We realized we did not have enough gas to get all of the way to the beach. When we stopped to buy gas, the gas stations were so full!!! Thankfully we were able to
"fill 'er up", but it made me begin a new rule. Whenever my gas tank reaches the half way mark, I try to treat it like an empty gas tank and I fill up the car with gas. On long trips we don't fill it up that often, but I try to keep at least a half tank of gas in my car at all times. I feel empowered when the tank is full. Don't ask me why! So, turn over a new leaf. Don't rely on your car to tell you when it is on empty. Beat the system and fill up when you have half a tank of gas left. You'll be glad you did should you need to scoot out of town!

10 comments:

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

Oh Mama Henley, I am EMBARRASED to tell you that TWICE this year I have run our of fuel in my car.

And I drive a nice and well equipped Ford Edge, but the darn thing just does not "re-notify" me often enough about low fuel. It's my own fault. I drive long distances for business appointments and sometimes I just get so tired on the way home, that I rationalize, Hmm....I'll get it in the morning. Then, running late, got to get there, and AHEM. Thank goodness for AAA!

In all seriousness though, after the last episode (which I was too embarrased to blog about) I am NEUROTIC about making sure the tank gets filled after it dips past 1/2 full.

Thank you for your sage wisdom! :) XO

Suburban Princess said...

I ran out of gas once on the road and people are sooooo not friendly about it when you block traffic! Since then I always check the tank and keep it full!

Jennifer said...

I agree! You never know what could happen. A few years ago in Charlotte there was a shortage of gas and you'd have to wait hours to get gas if you were lucky enough to find it all!

The Mrs. said...

My mom taught me that rule but hubby thinks there is more gas when the car is on empty then when it's full! LOL.

Sandra said...

I am the same way! And when I travel, if I'm alone, I stop and fill up when it gets to the halfway mark! I always fill my car up when there is a prediction of bad weather, no matter what!!

KK said...

You KNOW I need to follow this tip, lol!

The Aiken ite said...

This made me nostalgic. This one was one my Papa's (grandfather's) golden rules. :.) Love your blog.

monicawellsworld.blogspot.com

Black Labs and Lilly said...

This is a great tip and one that my Grammie has tried to instill in my sister and I since before we could drive! She never lets her tank go below half a tank! Being younger, and without children, my sister and I tend to be rebels, and I usually let it go to 1/4 of a tank! I am sure I will change my ways someday though!!

bevy said...

I am not going to show this to my husband as he would just say "I told you so!" over and over. I'll just listen to you, cute friend!

hello@francesbailey.com said...

Mama AH,

I have run out of gas 3x and I don't even own a car. Now, doesn't that make you feel better? You are the BEST MOM and The Most Organized Person Ever. When do your readers get to experience the coupon book? That alone makes me want to nominate you for President.

xxoo,f