Monday, March 22, 2010

It is definitely MONDAY

Whew. It has been one of those days where I wonder why I seem to be doing everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING, wrong. For some crazy reason, our school did not have school today after a week of Spring Break last week. I know this makes the teachers happy, but these little peeps are ready for a schedule! After traveling, I was exhausted and tried my best to sleep a little late this morning. I did lay there past 6am, but I wasn't sleeping. I knew that the kitchen would be a bit of a mess with 3 9-year old chefs, and I was okay with that. However, I was not okay with what I found later this morning. EVERY SINGLE ROOM was out of order. Sofa cushions were in various places, cups were left in our family room where drinks are not allowed, and bedrooms looked like Haiti after the earthquake. I wanted to sit down and cry, but I buckled up and started cleaning up while assigning various jobs to our children. I have a friend whose children are perfectly neat and will even scrub baseboards. This mess was beyond some dusty baseboards, my friends. IT was a disaster zone in EVERY. SINGLE. PART. of our house. Discouraged, I called my hubby and a friend and vented. Then, after calling in the trips to pick up yet another newly found disaster, girl #2 fell and hurt her wrist and knee. Lacking compassion, I mustered up what little I had and put her on the sofa. Then she began complaing about her wrist. We need another broken bone like Imelda needed more shoes. Thankfully, I think she's okay, but I thought I was headed to the doctor. We'll know more tomorrow.

I continued cleaning and put the Hurricane in my bed so she could nap. Hurricane did not nap and instead ate a banana and spilled milk in my bed. LOvely. Don't worry, another mess wont' hurt me. RIGHT. I have since sent girl #2 & the Hurricane to the bath because they are going to bed EARLY, as in while the sun is still out!

As I lovingly cleaned the room of our 2 youngest, I quickly filled one giveaway bag and started on another. I have trashed treasures and trash. I was working on their closets when the next thing happened. K's ENTIRE CLOTHING ROD fell with her entire wardrobe of hand-me-downs on it. K has 2 older sisters, so she has lots of clothes. They are now all piled on her bed where they will stay until someone can help me re-install the rod. I tried, but it needs anchors to keep that baby in the wall. A painter or workman had done a shoddy job of hanging it originally. So, hear I sit needing to blog just to get it off of my chest.

Girl #1 is complaining of her daily headache. Girl #3 is probably collecting nature outside only to hide the bag in her newly (partially) cleaned room. Girl # 4 is making yet another mess. Only Boy is off playing golf with his buddies and hubby has probably just made up a work problem simply to stay away from home.

I am off to wash load of laundry number 5 for today and to make blts for dinner. While I wouldn't trade these years for anything, sometimes I just wish my house was clean and orderly. It would just make me feel better.

13 comments:

Sherrie said...

That sounds like a typical day in my household when I am home for the summer.

I think Mama Henley needs a glass of wine! Hope you can relax this evening (and they are all asleep by 7 PM) :)

Jennifer said...

Wow! Quite a day! Hopefully things will calm down when they are back in school.-and no broken bones..

Structure sounds like a good plan. Maybe take turns w hubby sleeping in? Hope things are improving.

Do "no fun chair" & "time out" work..I tried to use them when my kids were young...You need a day off & maybe a hot bath? Jennifer

Jennifer said...

Hope you have a chance to relax tonight - you need it! Sounds like you had a really bad day. Kids are so dang messy and loud but still so sweet and loveable.

Jessica Ryan said...

I am so sorry your day has been so rotten... but your post made me chuckle a little... because we have all been there! And because it's funnier when it happens to someone else. So when this happens to me next I give you permission to burst out laughing! XOXO

and my motto today: sometimes I like to hear myself wine!
And I give you permission to wine!!

Seersucker Scrapper said...

I'm so sorry you are having such a tough day. When hubby gets home, you hand everyone over, get a glass of wine and draw a hot bath!

You deserve it!

Tomorrow will be better!

The Aiken ite said...

Oh Mama Henley! I had that kind of day too. Let's go sit down and start over tomorrow. You made me smile. I was feeling sorry for myself. :.)

bevy said...

OK... the only reason I DID NOT have a day like yours is because we DID have school today. Sweet girl, I pray tomorrow will be better (I promise I will later tonight as I am going to bed!).

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

We have all of the joy to come next week...16 days of break not including weekends and by the end of the first week I will so be longing for alone time, a clean house, well stocked fridge and hubby without 'work' things to think of. I so feel your pain. Think of me next week when I am neck deep in the trenches.

JDB said...

Whoa mama! You've been through it! Hope today is better.

BTW, the Imelda comment made me laugh out loud. So funny!

Aundrea said...

Sorry that your day was so terrible! I will admit though, that it encourages me that I am not alone. As a homeschool mom, this often happens in our house!! I am all about putting kids to bed early-even when its still light out! Whatever works for mom's sanity and their safety (ha ha- just a little humor) !!

wendy said...

i just want to know one thing! Who's kids wash baseboards???

wendy said...

OMG!!!! WHOSE! WHOSE children wash baseboards!Mama Shell can't spell! PLease ignore my prior blog! THAT WAS A DAY, HANDS DOWN! But you made me laugh about it I must say!

KK said...

Oh, bless your poor little heart...