Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Betsy-Tacy Books



Do you have little girls who love to read? Maud Hart Lovelace wrote the Fabulous Betsy-Tacy series beginning in 1938. These books tell the precious story of the friendship between two little girls. They are back in print and you can buy them at Amazon.com if you click here.

Our girls are reading these books as quickly as possible after they were recommended by my dear friend, J. She even has the first book on CD for her girls to listen to in the car. If you like Classic literature and books about kind little girls, then you will LOVE this series! Order more than one for your little girl will want to read all of them!




I can't wait to tell our school about these books, if they don't know about them already. They would be a great addition to our school library or the curriculum for second or third grade girls. There is even a Betsy-Tacy Society that has restored the author's house and the two beside it that were inspiration for her books.



Happy Reading!

11 comments:

Travelbugmom said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH! My daughter is a HUGE reader and will just adore this series. I love the classic books too. She plowed through most of the american girl doll books and these seem to be similar I think.

Seersucker Scrapper said...

Thanks for the tip. I will have to keep these in mind when Little Miss M gets a bit older.

Gabi said...

I am always looking for classic books for my boys to read. No girls here though...We are currently reading the Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and they are LOVING it! We are doing it as a read aloud though. Let me know if you have any good boy suggestions!!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Thanks for sharing this. I know some little girls that would love these!

Jo said...

Many of the girls in my school enjoy this series ~ it's so cute to listen to their reviews!

Jo

JMW said...

Thank you for the recommendation - I'll have to keep these in mind for one my daughter is a little older.

bevy said...

You would also love the B is for Betsy series by Carolyn Haywood. I loved those books. They were also written around that time... You can find them on Amazon. The cover is modernized by the stories are the same.

Another great book that your older girls might like is Lisa and Lottie by Erich Kästner. It was written in 1949 but is the ORIGINAL Parent Trap. I loved it as a child and found it quite by accident in my school's library. Your girls may get a kick out of comparing the book with both movies!

Hopsy said...

Oh, I used to read these!!

Anonymous said...

I will have to look into these! I helped with fourth grade and it was so hard to find classic children's series like this!

Leelee said...

This is going to sound REALLY corny...but i use to borrow these books from the library when I was a little girl...I was allowed to walk there from my grandmother's house...by myself...such a big girl, with my own library card...out and about....

Starting with Betsy-Tacy...and then Tib (who seemed so mysterious to me at the time....) I even loved the Betsy and Joe books...we kind of grew up together...

It is good to see that girls (old and young) are still loving Betsy

KK said...

Pinkie is dying to know how to read. I will have to remember these when she is old enough. I didn't know about them with Miss Priss.