Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

As you are putting away ornaments, take time to really organize them. I have a large plastic box for each child's ornaments. It is labeled with their name and birth year. As they make new ornaments or are given new ornaments as gifts, I add them to their box. I have the memory of an elephant. I remember things that aren't even important. Until the year my father-in-law died, I could tell you the story behind every ornament all SEVEN of us own. I remembered that my friend, Margaret, gave each triplet a precious VW Bug ornament in their favorite color when they were babies. I remembered the crosses ML gave each child. We decorated with Christmas cards on our tree last year, so we didn't visit with our ornaments. I was shocked to see so many ornaments that I could not remember the giver or the story. Imagine my relief when I saw ornament boxes with "To Hurricane on her 2nd birthday from her godparents" and other sentiments such as that. Some of the ornaments had the to and from and the year on them. All of this explaining is to encourage you to buy a new Sharpie marker and label away. Label the individual ornaments or their boxes so that you and your family will remember their origin for years to come. Happy 2010!

6 comments:

Imjustagirl said...

That is a great idea! Thanks so much:)

Suburban Princess said...

Great idea! I was looking at an ornament the other day and couldnt remember where I got it!

Gabi said...

my Hubby has his monogrammed box from when he was a kid, and we have started the same tradition with my boys (although i still need to finish C's box. Always the case with the second..) Now i just need to be organized about putting them away!

KK said...

Just yesterday I bought three more "Christmas" rubbermaid containers while I was at Walmart--the decorations MUST be in labeled containers, you are so right!

QueenBeeSwain said...

if my mom read blogs- she would applaud you for this post. she is big on organization of ornaments- small ones, the family heirloom ones, the ones kept for sentimental reasons, etc, etc. makes it so much easier to attack come December the next year if you just slow down and bit and sort it all out!

xoox

kHm

Gabi said...

Hello there! I will post pics of our boxes (John's and what I have done for the boys)
As for the oreo bonbons - super easy!!
mix one package of oreos (3 sleeves if you get them in bulk) in food processor or blender until crumbs. Mix with 1 8oz package of softened cream cheese. Roll into balls. refrigerate at least 1 hour. Dip in melted chocolate and chill again. can be sprinkled with crushed candy canes too (yum!) I have a friend who has made them with the minty oreo cookies from Trader Joe's and says those are super yummy :) Off to get the boxes out so I can photograph them!
xoxo