Thursday, January 7, 2010

Out with the old, in with the new....







I have been hurriedly taking down Christmas decorations as I usually have them down by New Year's Day. We are behind this year, but I have learned that it really does not matter. No one is going to award points for first decorated, first un-decorated. I wrestled our tree this afternoon and finished removing all ornaments and the ***lights and then I hauled that baby to the street. Whew.

While driving home earlier today, I noticed that neighbors had started putting up their Gasparilla wreaths. We moved here just 2 weeks before Gasparilla last year and I was determined to have a fun wreath this year. In fact, I was so determined that I decided to make my own in November. I've had them waiting in my garage ever since, so after removing the Christmas wreaths, I put up our Gasparilla wreaths.

Gasparilla is a festive time in our town. It is reminiscent of Mardi Gras. Pirates will invade our fair city and a parade ensues. In fact, Gasparilla now has a separate weekend for the Children's Parade and then the real Gasparilla follows. We enjoyed the parade last year and are excited to be in the spirit this winter!

11 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Just found your great blog and love it.

Love Being A Nonny said...

I've never heard of it but it sounds like lots of fun!

Travelbugmom said...

GREAT wreaths - such talent! When do you find the time? I wish I lived in your fun town, but then again, the pressure for the non crafty, unimaginative person I am!

carolinagirl said...

i love those wreaths...so adorable.

Imjustagirl said...

It is hard to believe gasparilla is just around the corner!!!

Anonymous said...

So cute! You did such a great job decorating the wreaths! :o) We just took our Christmas Tree down... sad to see it go!

GP CUPCAKE said...

Those are beautiful wreaths! I am very impressed. I laughed at your post about getting the award for "first up", "first down" ,etc. I have always had that same thought. I think it is a race with ourselves!

Unknown said...

Love them AH!!! Such a fun time of year! Enjoy it for me!

Kellie said...

How fun!!!!

KK said...

How fun! I have never heard of Gasparilla. I love your wreaths!

I am dying over here because their is too much snow on the ground to go outside and take down my Christmas lights. I like to have it down by New Years and now who knows when it will come down!

Unknown said...

You MADE those?!?! I'm so impressed. I've been telling R that I want a Gasparilla wreath this year. I don't have the eye or talent for making them though. Maybe I could get some pointers from you sometime?