Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesday's Tip


Twelve years ago I taught at a very special Classical Christian School in Dallas, Texas. After teaching there, I am convinced that a Classical education teaches children so well because they teach according to how each age learns. While teaching at Covenant, I paid close attention to the children's lunches. I was so impressed with the girls who brought kiwi and hard-boiled eggs to school. Their mother was so creative and healthy! I have tried to emulate them when packing lunches for our brood of five.
Another mother, Rhoda, who also happened to be our Art Teacher, sent her daughter to school with a cloth napkin every single day. What a brilliant idea! Not only do you usually need more than one paper napkin because they crumble easily, but they add to loads of trash we create every day. Granted, you must wash a cloth napkin, but I see it as a greener alternative. Since the world now encourages being "green", sending a cloth napkin in a lunch fits the bill! I try to send a cloth napkin in our children's lunches and I wash them whenever I can tell they need it. Sometimes they must be washed after just one lunch as they mop big spills but sometimes they are used for just a dab and the child uses it again the next day. Happy Tuesday's Tip!

11 comments:

Travelbugmom said...

Super idea. When I substitute in a younger classroom, I'm always peeking what snacks the children bring - I love healthy too! A special treat for my daughter is when I make microwave popcorn and slip some in her lunch!

The Hayden Family said...

My son thanks you! Going to ick it up a notch in the lunch box dept! Thanks for the stellar ideas! I adore you!

Valerie said...

What a cute idea.

Although, as a former elementary classroom teacher, I must say that have been appalled at what I have seen in student lunch boxes and for snack time (our district was big on snack breaks for brain-based learning). So many inappropriate foods, full of preservatives and empty carbohydrates...KUDOS to those moms that cut up kiwis, strawberries, apples, etc. and hard boil eggs, send yogurt and whole wheat crackers. It takes more work, but is so much better for your kiddo than a can of Pringles of package of Twinkies.

But what I really love is the cloth napkin idea...never too soon to teach manners and refinement!

Blessings,
Valerie

JMW said...

Great idea about the cloth napkin! And that reminds me, I have eggs in the fridge that I should hardboil. Not only good for the kids' lunches, but great for mommy's salad!

Jennifer said...

I love the cloth napkin idea too - thanks for the great idea! I used to cringe at the snacks my students would bring to school - it's easier to send pre-packaged food but it's so much tastier and better to cut up something real or throw a carton of yogurt in the bag.

HoodMama said...

Great tip!!! Why don't you just come on back and our kids could go to Covenant together and you could just tell me your tips in carpool. Just a thought. :)

KK said...

I always wonder if Pinkie's teacher is judging me by what I pack in her lunchbox--now I know she is , LOL!

bevy said...

It always amazes me that parents don't pack a fruit or veggie in their children's lunches. And day after day of Lunchables! My boys get one Lunchable every semester. What a treat! LOL

As for horrible preservative laden food, I know I am also guilty. At least I try to make them whole grain and low sugar! It's hard - especially with my 'tween boy, Sumter!

Nancy said...

Great ideas, I think I may start packing a cloth napkin in my lucnh. Not only is it "green" it can be prettier too :) Love Tuesdays!!!!

The 5 Bickies said...

I love this idea! I always get the best ideas when I volunteer in the lunch room.

My children all need new lunch boxes and it's not a great time of year to be looking. Any suggestions on where to find a great lunch box?

Sandra said...

Adding a little note in the lunch box each day is a nice touch, too. My children didn't take their lunches every day, but when they wanted a packed lunch, I always added that. xoxo